Zen habits – are you still in your mould or have you broken free
Changing habits on paper is so simple yet human behaviour gets thrown into the mix and it makes it so hard sometimes!
Some perspective can help; i.e. if you don’t want to really change then you are unlikely to change:
Precontemplation – “ I don’t want to change – I like it here in my mould”
Contemplation- “ I open to considering change ”
Preparation/Action – “ time for a change”
Maintenance “ Don’t do that anymore – I’ am free”
Most clients that get acupuncture are in the “ I hate been in this lousy mould and it is time for a change” stage. Then it is knowing what human behaviour spanner the client is going to throw into the works:
Upholders want to know what should be done. – “thanks, I just needed the steps to take”
Questioners want justifications. “give me the research and I will make my own decision”
Obligers need accountability.” Really do I have to”
Rebels want freedom to do something their own way. “did you just make that my idea”
This is what change looks like on paper – so easy; damn you human behaviour.
- Decide on a goal that you would like to achieve for your health.
- Choose a simple action that will get you towards your goal which you can do on a daily basis.
- Plan when and where you will do your chosen action. Be consistent: choose a time and place that you encounter every day of the week.
- Every time you encounter that time and place, do the action.
- It will get easier with time, and within 10 weeks you should find you are doing it automatically without even having to think about it.
- Congratulations, you’ve made a healthy habit!